Dance/Movement Therapy (DMT) “… is the psychotherapeutic use of movement and dance to support intellectual, emotional, and motor functions of the body. As a modality of the creative arts therapies, DMT looks at the correlation between movement and emotion.”
American Dance Therapy Association
Benefits of Therapeutic Movement and DMT for Healthier Aging and Improved Quality of Life
- Complements and supports a multi-disciplinary team approach
- Increases social and sensory engagement
- Provides a safe space for self-expression
- Promotes nostalgia
- Activates and strengthens neural connections
- Enhances coping skills
- Encourages physical exertion
Common session themes include:
- Relationships and support systems
- Coping and adaptation
- Sessions are inclusive and held with individuals of all ages, races, cultures, ethnic backgrounds, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
- Each member is encouraged to participate at his or her own pace/comfort level.
- Sessions may take place with either one individual or a group of individuals.
- Memories and feelings are expressed playfully through movement (and often also through verbal sharing) and supported by the therapist.
- Sessions may be held in many different types of settings (therapeutic day rooms of various healthcare establishments, wellness centers, rehabilitative settings, community centers, and on virtual platforms).
- The entire session may be seated based upon participant comfort and ability.
- Appropriate music selections are often played in the background to help “set the scene” and promote rhythm and nostalgia. See my sample playlist below.
The Sounds of Music
Sample DMT Session Playlist